Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Now THAT'S Neighborly


This has been a crazily stressful week for me.  At the start of the week, I received the news that the home I still own (and was renting out) in Tampa burned down when the tenants left cigarettes unattended. 


Later in the week, I received even more devastating news, which I’d rather keep to myself.  Needless to say, this was not the time to have overlooked paying my electric bill, but that’s exactly what I did, and today the electric company turned off my electricity. 

So…it meant a lot to me when I got a call in the late morning while I was working up in Tampa – it was the D’s mom, my neighbor Donna, letting me know that FP&L had turned off my electricity, and there was a pink notice on the door.  She said she wanted to let me know so there’d be time for me to pay the bill and get the power restored before I got home from work at the end of the day. 

Now THAT’S neighborly. 


When I got home, Donna’s son Da’Sean met me at the door, curious about the pink notice.  “What’s this?” he asked, and then proceeded to read the announcement aloud, which gave me a chance to tell Da’Sean the story of how his neighborly mom had helped me out early in the day.

Because of my neighbors, it feels more and more like home around here.  Thanks.  


No comments:

Post a Comment